Thursday, March 2, 2023

They Know Where I Live


Day 140: It is an acknowledged fact that my birds have me well trained. If I let the feeders go empty, they will perch on the shepherd's-hooks outside my windows and stare into the house until the sense of being watched compels me to look up. Failing that, they will knock on the windows (imagine, if you will, a hummingbird beak tapping on glass) or flutter against them to get my attention. Some come to the back porch, knowing that Food Bringer comes out through it with the can of seeds. It's not uncommon for me to have to ask juncos (in particular) to move over so I don't step on them when I go out. A few days ago, this was the sight that greeted me when I went out to fill the feeders for the first time that morning. Note that all the little toe prints are facing toward the house. The lineup had been waiting for me. They know where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment