Saturday, April 15, 2023

11 mm Band


Day 184: Now I feel I am truly weaving in the Leksand tradition instead of just making pickup bands! This dainty band is only 11 mm wide. I used #80 tatting cotton for the warp, 8/2 cotton for the pattern/coloured threads and weft. I call it "S & Z," appropriate for a spinner's band, given the direction of twist for singles and plied yarn, because that is how the figures appear on the face. However, the reverse side (shown where it is wound onto the cloth reel) is equally attractive. In the course of weaving the first foot or so, I've made some discoveries regarding how the warp should be wrapped around the terminal posts (pattern threads lowest to maximize the "up" shed), and also for the rhythm of the treadle action to eliminate redundant footwork. I nearly have the pattern memorized, and only have to refer to my cheat-sheet for the two throws in each figure which are opposite to one another to make the S or Z. Committing a pattern to memory is crucial to building up speed, and it keeps my old brain flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment