Friday, April 14, 2023

Tvistsöm Birdies

Day 183: My tvistsöm birdies have been waiting in the wings to be mounted until I could finish up a second project which was going to use the same chartreuse bias tape. I was afraid I might not have enough for both pieces, and since I had bought it to match the colour in the larger one, the tvistsöm had to take a back seat until I ascertained how much I had to play with. I wound up with a one-inch scrap at the conclusion. These little birdies, as you may recall, are worked on 18-count canvas. The technique is tvistsöm, also known as "long-armed cross stitch." I hadn't done any in a long time, and figured it was time to make a piece for myself. The basic pattern for the birds is from the only English-language book I have ever been able to find for tvistsöm, but of course I changed it up a bit to suit my purposes: using different colours to suggest a variety of bird species, lengthening and shortening the various branches, adding leaves and flowers of my own invention and so on. Long and narrow, it was designed to fit the 6" section of wall space between the frames of the bathroom door and the linen cupboard. That's my "seasonal space," and now with the birds in their tree for spring, I have summer (sheep in krokbragd), autumn (acorns in hardanger) and winter (poinsettias, also in hardanger). For a person with no Scandinavian ancestors, I do tend to lean toward Swedish and Norwegian fiberarts!

No comments:

Post a Comment