Thursday, April 13, 2023

Red's Back!


Day 182: Red's back! Unlike the Anna's, my Rufous Hummingbirds don't over-winter here with very rare and individual exceptions, and thus it was cause for celebration when I spotted Red at the feeder a few days ago. I haven't noticed a female yet, but they resemble Anna's closely enough that I simply may not have been paying attention to whether the breast was grey or just rain-wet. That said, there's no mistaking Red in his rust-coloured coat! They tend to be the dominant species through the summer, often arguing territorial rights with the Anna's, but having a reliable and abundant food supply keeps friction to a minimum. Nevertheless, one famous ornithologist was heard to remark that "a hummingbird's vocabulary consists of 90% swear-words," and although my crowd may not get into serious fights very often, they can certainly turn the air blue with insults!

No comments:

Post a Comment