Sunday, April 23, 2023

Polliwogs On Parade


Day 192: After roughly 20 hours spread out over two days as I tried various warping systems for the Leksand loom, I finally hit on a combination of techniques which, while not perfect by any means, at least let me put a new band on the rollers. During the experiments, I used up a phenomenal amount of "throw-away" crochet thread (those partial balls too small to use for a project) and the full range of my father's tractor-starting vocabulary as I tried to coax slack threads into behaving. Once warped, I settled in to weave, drawing out any remaining droop once I had an inch or so completed. I had in mind to use two different patterns alternately (they shared a common break point), but as luck would have it, the transition between the elements was less than attractive, so I abandoned the idea to use only one of the two elements. I dubbed it "Polliwogs." Having completed a foot or so, I set the loom where I could take a picture of the band against a dark background, and that was when I noticed a mistake five and a half motifs back. Don't bother looking for it. It's not there any more. Yes, I picked my morning's work out to fix the "oopsie," and wasn't satisfied until I had woven it all again. This band is 1" in width, with 13 pattern threads. All coloured threads are 8/2 cotton on a ground of 16/2 perle cotton. The weft is also 8/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment