Saturday, April 22, 2023

The Right Job For The Tool


Day 191: You all know that you should always use the right tool for the job. In this case, I had to find the right job for the tool. I have to admit that I bought this teeny-tiny Turkish spindle on a whim. It cost only slightly more than two gallons of milk, and I thought it was absolutely adorable! Plus, the crossarms are made from sassafras wood, and I have a weakness for "exotic" woods, particularly when they have been turned into fiberarts implements. However, I had no idea what I'd be able to spin on a spindle which looked more like a toy than a tool, and rather figured it would turn out to be a conversation piece and nothing more. Still, it couldn't hurt to try to make yarn with it, so I attached a length of buttonhole twist to use as a leader, the same thread I use on my larger, weightier spindles. I gave it a twirl, watched it wind, but was dismayed when it began back-twisting after only a few rotations. I sat back to analyze the problem in a scientific manner and after deciding that the hard twist of buttonhole thread was at least partly responsible for the issue, I took it off and made a new leader from sewing thread. Sassafras spun like a dream! I grabbed a bit of Corriedale top, and immediately spun it into a fine strand with ease. While Sassy may not have the weight to spin heavier yarns, she spins cobweb any spider could admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment