Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Tools - Style, Size And Shape


Day 173: Winter and gas prices are proving to be remarkably persistent, so I'm not getting out much these days. I know you're probably a little tired of fiberarts posts in what was primarily intended to be a blog of science and natural history, but I ask you to bear with me a little longer. Believe me, I would much prefer being on the trail to being housebound.

Today, I thought I'd give you a size comparison of three different styles of spindle. While they are all capable of doing the same job, there are many reasons to choose one over another. Here, I've used my "Ice Caves" blend of Corriedale wool and bamboo fiber on all three. Initially, I simply wanted to see what it would look like, so I spun up a little bit on a tahkli, the smallest of these spindles, and an excellent way to do a trial run. Tahklis are bottom-weighted and spin very rapidly. They are normally used for spinning short-staple fibers like cotton, but can be used for longer fibers as well. A supported spindle like the Tibetan style (green whorl) can also be used for short or long staples, but are more versatile in that they hold more. They come in various lengths and weights. Drop spindles are larger and also come in assorted weights. They allow the spinner to form a longer strand, especially if used when standing. Although I've never really mastered bottom-whorl spinning with a drop spindle, I did put it to good use plying from the tahklis (my spinning wheel was otherwise occupied). Drop spindles hold quite a bit of yarn! Spinning in this manner, regardless of which type of spindle you use, can be a very relaxing process. It's easy to learn, and a wonderful way to get started making your own custom yarns.

No comments:

Post a Comment