Friday, May 26, 2023

Eurasian Collared-dove, Streptopelia Decaocto


Day 225: As if Band-tailed Pigeons weren't bad enough, I now have another unwelcome guest at my feeders. No, this is not a Mourning Dove, although it looks very similar. Note the black line on the back of the neck. This is a Eurasian Collared-dove, a bird whose range has expanded to include most of the United States outside the Northeast since an accidental release from a Bahamian pet store in the 1970s. In some locales such as Texas and Florida, Collared-doves are reported to be displacing native doves with whom they compete at feeders. As far as I'm concerned, they're just another (insert the purple-hued invective of your choice) pigeon, although they do contribute to my cardiovascular health, given the number of times each day I leap from my chair and run at the window, shrieking and flapping my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment