Saturday, May 27, 2023

Fitchii Goes Berserk


Day 226: I must be doing something right. Hoya fitchii, fondly known as "Fitch," has gone completely berserk. I might be off by one or two, but I have counted at least 14 umbels, most now fully open and perfuming my living room. A few more are still developing. This is by far the most lavish display Fitch has put on. Meanwhile, his cousin H. ilagiorum has two clusters, one nearly open and one still tightly closed. Both plants hang in a north window, which I think may be a major factor in bringing them into bloom successfully, along with allowing their soil to dry out almost completely before giving them water. To water, I drench the pots and allow them to drain before putting them back in the saucers. Oddly, my old standard H. carnosa has yet to develop a spur despite receiving the same treatment...and it's supposed to be easy to bring into flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment