Saturday, July 29, 2023

Apprentice Pruners


Day 289: My regular pruner brought two apprentices with her this morning, and immediately the three of them set to work. They bypassed the raspberries in favour of the kiwi vine tendrils on the outside of the chicken-wire fence, but I do believe I have my work cut out for me from now until harvest time. I'd been wondering why the water level in the bird bath kept dropping overnight. In fact, I even checked to see if the glass was cracked. Now I understand. The Berry Pen is fenced, and almost everything in it is caged by tomato towers, not so much for support as for a cervid deterrent. There's not much room to land if one of these critters was of a mind to jump the fence, and they're smart enough to realize it. Likewise, the raspberries are protected by chicken wire except where the vines poke through the holes (and for the most part, I train them to stay within the confines). Still, it looks like it's time to stock up on appropriately-sized rocks for my slingshot. I did not sign a contract with Bambi and Co. for pruning services.

No comments:

Post a Comment