Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Hypericum HIndsight


Day 271: Oh, those infamous words, "It seemed like a good idea at the time!" Had I known then what I know now, I would not have pilfered a slip of Hypericum calycinum from K-Mart's parking lot planting over thirty years ago, but as the plant is showy and relatively common in landscape installations here in the Pacific Northwest, I thought it would be a quick way to add some colour to my yard. At the time, I was desperate. There was nothing here except for the yew hedge, a Whatzit Tree (an abundantly floral weeping unidentifiable), Big Doug and a straggly lilac, hardly sufficient habitat for the birds I hoped to invite. I was looking for freebies, and K-Mart's Hypericum pinged my radar. Armed with a hand trowel, I managed to sever the tough stolons and brought home three or four slips which, once they established, began to spread with unparalleled vigor. I took to mowing the excess to keep the growth in check. This, as I understand it, is a viable solution to the plant's tendency toward invasiveness. Although not classified as an invasive by reason of being fairly easy to confine, Hypericum calycinum would take over the world, given enough opportunity. The bees love the flowers, and I have to admit that those huge yellow blossoms still appeal to me, so I maintain a patch under the rail fence, limiting its potential explosion with judicious use of the weed-whacker.

No comments:

Post a Comment