Thursday, October 12, 2023

Seeing The Small Things


Day 364: A friend suggested that I notice small things because I'm built closer to the ground, i.e., I'm barely five feet tall. While his hypothesis has a certain degree of merit, I firmly believe that it's because I've trained my eye to spot the unusual, regardless of its size. In this instance, I was down on my knees in wet leaf litter taking photos of Lemon Discos (a fungus) which, at a diameter of a millimeter, are pretty dang little. About a foot to the left, something on the same log peculiar registered. "Is that a freakin' SNAIL???" I said. Sure enough, I was being observed by the tiniest snail I have ever seen. Obviously, I can't offer an ID, but I suspect it is Allogon townsendiana, one of our most common snails here in the PNW. The shell, roughly 2 mm in diameter, clearly exhibited whorls, and I could see the little eye stalks probing the world of giants. This image was taken with a 4x macro filter, also on a macro setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment