Monday, November 20, 2023

Good For...Something


Day 38: They have to be good for something. As an inveterate "re-purposer," I have not yet been able to come up with a reasonable use for the plastic cones on which weaving thread is wound. I generate a lot of them, and when you consider that each one originally held 3360 yards of 8/2 cotton (that's 1.9 miles of thread per cone), weaving takes on a whole new dimension. Cones weren't always plastic. The white thread resting horizontally on the warping board is on a hard paper cone. When empty, it will go in the recycling bin, but those plastic ones disturb me. The recycling center doesn't want them. They are not heavy enough to make a gutter "rain chain," and they are not at all musical when struck together, so a wind chime is out. I seldom need a megaphone, and in any event, could only use one at a time for the purpose. Single-use plastics are a plague, and I hate to think that I am contributing to it, but I'm fresh out of ideas for re-purposing cones.

No comments:

Post a Comment