Tuesday, November 21, 2023

It's Just An Arbitrary Date


Day 39: When you live alone, holidays don't have a lot of significance, but even so, when my turkey thawed out two days before I had expected it to, I was in a bit of a quandary. Should I try to hold it until Thanksgiving? The USDA and other sources made it perfectly clear that to do so would be to risk my health. Forty-eight hours was the limit, and my bird was already twenty-four into that time frame. With two more days to go, I'd be begging for trouble. And then I got to thinking about the holiday. It's just an arbitrary date like all the others people tend to celebrate. Was there any good reason I should wait? I couldn't come up with one, so I made my turkey today with candied yams to go along with. Tippy had a couple of tiny pieces (the only "people food" he ever is allowed) and then, our systems full of tryptophan, we both fell asleep in the recliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment