Monday, January 22, 2024

All The Trimmings


Day 101: I'm frequently asked, "What do you do with all those bands you weave?" Well, here's one example. I didn't have enough 3/2 cotton to finish out the warp I'd hung for the King's Flower coverlet, so I grabbed a skein of heavy cotton variegated craft yarn from my knitting/crocheting supplies and was able to get two perfectly-sized placemats out of the remainder (visible behind the vertical portion of the band in the photo). I thought they needed a little extra touch, and I was fortunate to find colours which came close to matching among my weaving cones. This band will be applied around all four sides of the mats when it's done. Quilters will understand what I mean when I say that it takes a lot more material than you might think to put a border around an item. I warped ten yards to be sure I would have enough trim for both mats. If there's any left over, it will go on a bag, a towel, a throw pillow, a table runner, or whatever else strikes my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment