Sunday, January 21, 2024

A Scandinavian Favourite


Day 100: Marguerite Porter Davidson titled this crackle-weave pattern "A Scandinavian Favorite," so I chose to weave it in traditional red and white (natural). I had the warp measured and ready to go before I took the King's Flower piece off the loom, and jumped immediately into hanging it. At 24' in length, the winding occupied most of Friday, worked in short stints to spare my back and knees. Yesterday, I threaded the heddles and reed, but I could not go to bed without working a few inches to be sure I'd done it correctly. Half a block was all it took, having then cycled through all the treadling combinations. Crackle-weave is a type of overshot in that it is worked with two shuttles, one bearing the coloured pattern weft and the other, the tabby which binds the pattern in place. Shuttles are worked alternately, color and tabby, with multiple repeats forming blocks. The difference between crackle and other overshots is that the pattern thread never "floats" above more than three warp threads, giving the finished fabric an appearance reminiscent of crazed pottery. The reverse shows the colours in opposite. It is easier to weave than many other overshots because it is block-woven. This, then, will be that "holiday tablecloth" I had hoped to finish before Christmas...you know, the one which turned into King's Flower because it didn't look right. I'll just need some lefse and lutefisk to complete the project!

No comments:

Post a Comment