Monday, January 8, 2024

Custom Coverage


Day 87: Well, it's not every day someone writes about a potty-seat cover. My old foam-backed one was shedding foam sawdust, and it was time to replace it. The thought process went like this:

I need to put "potty-seat cover" on my grocery list.
Seriously, don't just think about it. Do it, whether you want to or not.
Every time I say that to myself, I think, "Why don't I just make one?"
I could sew one up in half an hour after I take a template off the lid.
I really don't feel like sewing. I should just put it on the grocery list.
Dang it, just MAKE ONE!
I could quilt one.
Quilt? Waitaminit, I might have a test square tucked away which I could run a border around if it wasn't big enough. That'd get one thing out of the stash, too.

And then I dragged the quilt boxes out of the closet and came up with a Cathedral Window square which was even bigger than the lid, so I didn't have to "frame" it. It was a simple matter to pad it with quilt batting, back it with a piece of muslin, run a tube of blue fabric around the edge to hold the elastic, and bingo, job done, all from things I had readily to hand. It took a bit longer than the estimated half hour, but not as long as driving to the store would have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment