Sunday, January 7, 2024

Rising To The Challenge


Day 86: I have to admit that when I warped Pippin with sewing thread, I wasn't quite sure that I hadn't bitten off more than I cared to chew. Fact of the matter is, I am enjoying weaving with fine thread so much that I will warp Jutta with it as soon as I have finished her current band. Sewing thread coupled with 10/2 cotton yields a finished product similar in appearance and feel to commercial trims, a weight and flexibility which would be entirely acceptable to apply to a sweater or other garment such as a nightgown or blouse. Admittedly, the weaving would go faster if I was working on a band loom where the sheds are controlled by my feet. On Pippin, the roller at the top of the castle is turned by hand to change the shed. But then, what's the hurry? Weaving should be an eminently pleasurable and relaxing exercise, not something to rush through.

No comments:

Post a Comment