Saturday, January 27, 2024

False Damask Projects


Day 106: When I was ready to warp the table loom with another round of false damask, I got a little carried away and measured off more than I'd really intended. The first banner (a sailboat, reversible) was a birthday present requiring timely shipping, so when I finished the weaving, I cut it off, re-tied the warp, and began the second project ("The Loom Room") with nothing particular in mind for the remaining warp. When I came to the end of it, I realized there was still a lot of warp left on the roller, so I began a third piece (the leaves and berries, right), but even after that piece was done, I still had warp remaining. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away or consign it to the thrums bag, but honestly, I was pretty tired of false damask at that point. It's a demanding weave with a lot of pickup and a lot of bending over sideways to be certain of a clear shed before throwing the shuttle. I decided to put a small area of pattern on each end of a fingertip towel, with the center portion worked in the twill. Now I just have to do the finishing work, turning/sewing rod pockets and twisting fringe. I think I'll take a break from false damask for a while. As much as I love the effect, it's a lot of work on a four-shaft loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment