Sunday, January 28, 2024

Leftovers With Variables


Day 107: A quarter cone of the crimped yellow thread has been sitting in my weaving stash for about forty years, waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. It was something I picked up at a marvelous store in Portland (Oregon) called "Mill Ends" which went out of business shortly thereafter, and I'd used most of the thread to make placemats. There was too much left for my conscience to allow me to throw it out, but I was having difficulty finding an inspiration which would include it, given the limited amount. This morning as I was threading the table loom with warp for rag rugs, it struck me: break out the variable-dent reed for the rigid heddle and use it in combination with some of the leftover 3/2 cotton I'd used as weft in the King's Flower coverlet. The two yarns were close to the same size, so I arranged the sections of the variable-dent reed to have the 3/2 at the edges and in the center section at 10 epi, spaced apart by two inches of 8/2 (aqua) at 15 epi. I'll be working three towels in plain weave and 8/2, but the different weights of thread will give them texture and visual interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment