Wednesday, January 31, 2024

From Rags To Rugs


Day 110: Several friends contributed heavily to the project currently on my table loom. After cutting over a dozen old t-shirts into narrow pieces, my rug-strip box was so full, I could barely get the lid on. At that time, the loom was loaded with false damask, a time-consuming style of weaving if ever there was one, and when I finally reeled off the last piece, I wanted nothing more than to do something quick and easy. I loaded the loom with enough rug warp for three or four rugs, unsure how far my supply of strips would take me. With one done, the pile doesn't look a whole lot smaller, although the bright colours are diminishing faster than the darker ones, but I began with a disproportionate amount of black and dark blue. Any leftovers will go back in the rug-strip box for another day. I love rag rugs because they are heavy. They stay where you put them, don't flip up easily if caught by a toe, don't require backing and, best of all, they're a marvelous way to recycle t-shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment