Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Hellebore In Black And White


Day 109: When I mentioned that I wanted to add more hellebores to my yard, maybe even create a space especially for them, my botany partner offered to share a root of his white one to go with the black one I already had growing in two places. I welcomed the opportunity although I was worried that it was a little late in the year to split it, but it seemed to be settling in, at least until the heat of summer arrived. The leaves withered, and I figured I'd lost it. However, hellebores are pretty durable despite not always responding well to being divided, and I was pleased when leaf buds emerged from the ground. It is now flowering, as are the black ones. Hellebore flowers nod, so I propped these up so that you could see their faces. Joe's has the additional appeal of light-veined dark leaves. I still want more varieties!

No comments:

Post a Comment