Saturday, February 17, 2024

Bobbin' Along


Day 127: I'm no red, red robin, but I'm bob-bob-bobbin' along with a wide assortment of implements on which thread/cord/yarn can be wound. Spinning takes bobbins, as do weaving, embroidery, sewing and sometimes also knitting and crocheting, but the queen of all bobbin projects is bobbin lace. Not only are there different types of bobbins used in the various styles of bobbin lace, even a small piece (say an inch wide) may take two dozen or more to create. I once saw a woman working on an edging roughly three inches wide with over 200 bobbins spread out across the pillow. The most I've ever managed was a little over fifty. Some types of bobbin can be wound with a physical aid. Others have to be loaded by hand (a tedious task, believe me). I'm sure I've missed a few which could have been in this array, but this needed to be a short post because this weekend, I'll be occupied with delivering a hands-on lesson in how to warp a loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment