Friday, February 16, 2024

To Be Bound


Day 126: I've finished sewing together the three panels of the King's Flower coverlet, and I have to admit that it's not the best job of stitching I've ever done, but there were extenuating circumstances. As you may recall, this warp was originally supposed to be used to create a holiday tablecloth, but I was not happy with the way it was working out. The judgment call came after I had already woven 18", so rather than unweaving (a tedious job), I simply cut it off the loom. The drastic shortening of the warp meant that I no longer had enough left for the tablecloth, so I decided to weave something else entirely. The result was this piece. Unfortunately, the floating selvedge threads couldn't be changed out, and the colour was far from a match. In sewing up the seams, I was faced with having to conceal the non-matching threads; pulling them was out of the question since it would have disrupted the overshot at the edges. The too-obvious seams won't matter to me or to Tippy, who simply loves the coverlet and thinks I made it especially for him. That said, it's not done yet. I intend to weave a wide binding for at least two of the four sides to give the piece a bit more length, making up for that 18" section I cut off the original warp. Sometimes, you just have to resort to extreme measures to salvage a project which doesn't want to proceed according to plan. Even if it's not of a quality I'd put in the State Fair, it'll keep us warm o'nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment