Thursday, February 15, 2024

Colour Play

Day 125: While I never need an excuse to play with bright colours, Max has provided a perfect excuse to go hog-wild. You may recall that a couple of months back, I wove a pattern gamp using multiple threadings and treadlings in combination. It gave me a visual catalog of possibilities for future projects, a handy reference for patterns I might like to use together. A colour gamp works in much the same manner, demonstrating how colours interact with one another where weft crosses warp. I've been promising myself to weave one for years, but the idea was invariably back-burnered by something else. Max needs a fairly simple project for his inauguration since adjustments will need to be made to balance the shafts, so I thought, "Why not weave a twill colour gamp?" I'm making it wide enough to be towels (very colourful towels, mind you) with 16 threads each of 15 different colours. I will cycle the weft through the same sequence every 16 throws in a pattern called "vertical herringbone." The optical effect should be dazzling, blinding, verging on psychedelic, and just a whole heck of a lot of fun for a colour lover like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment