Monday, February 5, 2024

Max


Day 115: Say hello to Max, my "new" four-shaft countermarch Bergman loom, est. construction date 1940-50. Max is a hand-me-down from my weaving buddy Ed, who restored the loom but never had the opportunity to weave anything on it before inheriting an eight-shaft loom of the same make. We spent yesterday putting this one together, all but the tie-ups which are rather more complicated on a countermarch. I'm clear on the principle and will be working on that part of the set-up as soon as I'm thoroughly rested. I also need to tie more string heddles, although there are enough on the shafts for a small project already. Why "Max?" Because he MAXimized the available work space in the Loom Room, cramped in between my old floor loom (currently loaded with a project which will take about a month to complete) and craft cupboards, leaving just enough open floor for me to set a bench in front. It won't always be this tight. My old floor loom goes to a new weaver who I will be teaching to use it, and Max will shift into the spot it presently occupies. We're playing "musical looms" here, and from what I've seen, the weaving community works that way. That's why so many of these old guys are still around.

No comments:

Post a Comment