Saturday, March 30, 2024

They're Back!


Day 169: When I stepped out to fill the bird feeders yesterday morning, a familiar and anxiously anticipated chatter filled my ears. "They're back!" I said, as I began scanning the phone and power lines for swallows. Mine aren't as predictable as those which visit Capistrano, but they always arrive some time between mid-March to mid-April. The House of Chirp and Pussywillow Cottage go up in late February or early March to be sure housing is available, and already one potential renter has sized up the House of Chirp. It is the most desirable of the two, and has carried successful broods every year since I put it in place. Not so Pussywillow Cottage, which has been ravaged by a succession of squirrels, starlings and wasps, despite being relocated several times. During one notable mating season, the House of Chirp saw two broods hatch, and in another, produced six chicks in one brood. That year was particularly memorable for me because I witnessed five of them fledge. The sixth hung in the doorway much longer, and when I simply had to step away for a minute, it was gone when I returned. For the last several years, the occupants have been Tree Swallows (above, Tachycineta bicolor), although occasionally, Violet-Greens have made it their home. It is always a thrill for me to see the first twigs and grass being taken inside, or for a parent to return with a soft, white feather gleaned from parts unknown to line the nest. Here's to you, little ones! I look forward to watching you grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment