Thursday, April 25, 2024

Asarum Caudatum


Day 195: Putting aside the rarities as a category unto themselves, it would be hard for me to say which wildflower is my favourite. However, Asarum caudatum (Wild Ginger, unrelated to true ginger) is certainly close to the top of the list. It took me years to find it because I was looking for flowers held above the leaves, and had I not been hiking a trail which passed beneath a hillside where it was growing at eye level, I might never have thought to look beneath the foliage. Since that first discovery, I've realized that it's more common than I'd imagined. In fact, when I found it growing abundantly in the undeveloped lot next door, I lifted some carefully and transplanted it to my yard. Every year, my little colony has enlarged by a plant or two, and this year, is loaded with those mysterious long-tailed blooms which supply the "caudatum" portion of its Latin name.

No comments:

Post a Comment