Saturday, April 20, 2024

It's A Quadrillium!


Day 190: The very name "Trillium" tells you that this plant should have three somethingoranothers to distinguish it, but this extraordinary specimen from Pack Forest apparently missed the memo. Four petals, four sepals, four leaves, as perfect as if they always grew this way, caught my eye as I was coming down the 1000 Rd. from Kirkland Pass. I had actually taken a few steps past it before the unusual arrangement registered with me, jerking up short in mid-stride to backtrack with a "What the heck...?" spoken aloud. After taking several photos, I continued on, trying to decide whether it was a Quatrium, Quillium or Quadrillium, settling eventually on the latter cognomen. It will be interesting to pay a follow-up visit next year to see if it repeats the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment