Friday, April 19, 2024

Ranunculus


Day 189: Since 2014, I have been monitoring a particular location in the Park where my botany partners and I found what was all too obviously someone's cremated remains. Whoever had deposited their relative there had also planted daffodils and other non-native plants in violation of Park regulations. Every year since then, I have removed plants, sometimes bedded in soil, other times simply sunk, plastic pots and all with store tags intact. I thought I had the time frame for these memorial visits figured out, although with Easter and Mother's Day usually occurring near one another, I wasn't quite sure which occasion set the date. This year, Easter fell well in advance of Mother's Day, and sure enough, when I checked the site a few days after, there were two pots of Ranunculus which were quite easy to remove after photographing them in situ to refer to our law enforcement division. On one hand, I'm annoyed that the culprits are not getting the message that their "deposits" are not allowed. On the other, I'm enjoying the spots of colour just outside my kitchen door where the Ranunculus found a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment