Monday, April 1, 2024

Out Of My Mind


Day 171: I must be out of my mind! Not only is this thread finer than anything I have ever spun before, it is also the slipperiest. It is bamboo, which is to say it's rayon under a more romantic name, and I've used this same fiber to blend with wool before, but had never spun it by itself. Bronka just finished up two ounces of luscious, creamy Corriedale wool spun at a lace weight, and as I was scouting the cedar chest for a new spinning project, the bamboo caught my eye. "Well, let's try it," I said, fully expecting it to be so slick that I couldn't control the feed. But it surprised me, and so did Bronka. I was able to set the tension such that sufficient twist came into the fibers without pulling too much from my fingers, and an extra-fine, shiny thread began winding onto the bobbin. Here, I show it bent back on itself to demonstrate how it will look when it's make into two-ply. It's going to take a long time for me to spin even a one-ounce skein, but I am loving the feel and the way it works up.

No comments:

Post a Comment