Monday, April 22, 2024

Serviceberry, Amelanchier Alnifolia


Day 192: I had a different photo planned for today's post, but since today is Earth Day, how about a lovely and somewhat early Serviceberry instead? There are more common names for this plant than you can shake a stick at, including Shadbush, Shadblow, Saskatoon, Sarviceberry and Juneberry, and you may have noticed that two of them start with "Shad-," referring to the fact that Amelanchier species bloom around the same time the shad (fish) begin their run in the rivers. It's been a long time since I fished for shad, and the flowering of Serviceberry always makes me nostalgic for those days when my fishing buddy and I would stand on the banks of the Columbia at Bonneville, hauling in fish until our arms ached. That said, shad are bony little buggers, not something you can filet for the table. However, the flesh can be pickled like herring for a delicious snack (the pickling process softens the fine bones), and the roe can be salted to make a "poor-man's caviar." Sigh. What I wouldn't give for a jar of pickled shad right now! But Shadbush berries will have to suffice, even if I do have to wait until June to pick them.

No comments:

Post a Comment