Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Bioluminescent Species


Day 340: When I first encountered Xylaria hypoxylon (Carbon Antlers) in a wildlife conservation area a few years ago and was looking for information about the species, I discovered that it was bioluminescent. The conservation area was not one I cared to go traipsing about in the dark of night, I figured I'd never get to see the phenomenon for myself. However, last year, I found the same fungus growing on a hawthorn stump in my back yard and was overjoyed when I was able to stimulate a few tiny points of blue-white light by touching the tips with a twig. Once one of the "fairy lights" had been activated and had faded after a few seconds, it could not be induced to glow again. Only a few members of the colony were at the correct stage to produce bioluminescence, and my experiment concluded when they were exhausted. Then summer came and the Xylaria withered and disappeared. Now they are beginning to sprout on the stump again, and if conditions permit (temperature plays a role), I hope to be able to tease them into lighting up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment