Sunday, November 20, 2011

Missus In Winter


Day 38: In their first year of matrimonial bliss, Mister and Missus failed to raise any offspring. This is not an uncommon issue with first-time parents, although it was a sad situation from my point of view. However, Ravens mate for life and the breeding season is just beginning now. I've been listening to the advertising calls of at least six birds coming from different points of the compass all at once, one of the largest populations I've had in the twenty-odd years observing them in this location.

Mister and Missus have staked out my feeding station once again, and this morning arrived together for a breakfast of dog kibble steeped in bacon grease. Missus is the more cautious of the two, often remaining on the fence post to await the treats brought from the board by her bolder mate. Even so, the two of them often play hide-and-seek with me between the rails of the fence in an "I can see you but you can't see me" game. Their caution around me is minimal. They allow me to slide open the door and step out onto the back porch while they're feeding even if they see the camera in my hands. They only fly off if a glint of light sparkles off the lens, or if a Jay gives out a warning call.

No comments:

Post a Comment