Saturday, May 16, 2015

Penny Perspectives - Heartleaf Twayblade, Listera Cordata


Day 215: If I had shown you the photo on the left, how large do you think you would have said the individual blossoms were? Welcome to "Penny Perspectives" where I'll show you some very tiny wildflowers in close-up views. This is Heartleaf Twayblade (Listera cordata), another of western Washington's native orchids. Overall, the plant stands about six inches in height, and midway on the stem bears the two heart-shaped leaves which give it the first portion of its common name. The second half of its name refers to the long, two-forked petal at the bottom of the flower. Like its Orchidaceae cousins, it likes damp, shady forests and is often found along streambanks, blooming in late spring and early summer. This specimen (one of dozens) was photographed at Longmire.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your drawing my attention to this tiny flower. How many have I walked on? How many little beauties do I destroy without observing their presence? Keep up the good work. I enjoy every post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens. I've been guilty of it myself despite how careful I try to be. We can only do the best we can.

      Delete