Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Varied Thrush, Ixoreus Naevius


Day 122: We're back among the living! Shortly after breakfast, my power went out and my cell phone lost service. Kevin managed to call in on my land line, but almost immediately after he hung up, that went out as well. Power came back on a little over two hours later, but both phones remained dead. I settled in with a good book, taking a break mid-day to make chocolate chip cookies. The mail still hadn't arrived by three and I was getting anxious, sure that trees were down somewhere up the line. I kept checking in between chapters, but got engrossed in the plot for a longer stint and the next time I looked out the window there were two men in my driveway, shovelling snow. Huh? The one furthest away seemed youngish. The other was behind one of my trees, and when I caught a quick glimpse, I noticed several days' growth of whiskers before realizing that it was Kevin. He and his youngest son had come up with a "care package" of milk, soup and banana bread and a pair of heavy duty snow shovels. In half an hour, they'd cleared my driveway.

That said, both Kevin and another friend had tried reporting my phone outage to CenturyLink, the worst phone company in the world. Kevin was told that since it was my service, I would be the person who needed to report the outage. He insisted, "She can't report it because, as I keep telling you, her service is out!" I don't know that he ever got the point across to the moron on the other end of the line, but at 8:30 PM, I still didn't have phone. At 8:45 PM, it was back, bringing my internet with it. Those cheery chirps you're hearing aren't the Varied Thrushes. They're a happy Crow!

No comments:

Post a Comment