Sunday, March 17, 2019

Different Day, Different Duties



Day 155: They probably don't do it these days, but when I was in high school, we were given aptitude and placement tests to help determine what elective courses we should take to ensure our future employability. The results weren't as gender-keyed as you might have expected in that era, and mine were returned with the conclusion that I was best suited to either of two professional roles: florist (which at the time I thought was way off base) or forest ranger. Much later in life, I was subjected to similar testing with the result that my "perfect job" was determined to be that of lighthouse keeper (probably due to my preference for solitude), but that's another story. "Forest ranger" was spot on; "florist" should have read "botanist," but women were not encouraged into positions in the scientific field in the 1960s.

I always remember those tests when it comes time for the Nisqually Land Trust's annual fund-raiser auction. Besides hauling boxes of donations and setting items out on the tables, my primary duty is to arrange the floral centerpieces for the dining hall. I fell into the task quite naturally after the first year when the arrangments were composed by committee; now the job is mine alone. One of the staff purchases whatever bouquets they can find (Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer, Safeway) and delivers them to me in buckets. My mission is to create art from chaos: 28 vases with a pleasant balance of form and colour based on the materials at hand. It usually takes about two hours, and then I'm free to help with other set-up tasks.

Additionally this year, I donated two handwoven items to the silent auction: a silky rayon scarf with a patterned weave, and the "test" blanket I made before creating Arnie's retirement gift. At the very least, the two items will bring in $150 for the Land Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment