Monday, November 13, 2023

Skinned Lobsters

Day 31: Given that it requires equal weights of dyestuff to wool, I probably won't be doing any dyeing with lobster skins until next year. "Lobster skins?" I hear someone ask with a degree of horror and revulsion in their words. Yes, lobster skins, as in Hypomyces lactifluorum, the fungal overgrowth which is commonly found on Russula species mushrooms here in the Pacific Northwest. I gathered two batches this year with a project in mind, pared the Hypomyces layer off with a pocket knife and dried it in the dehydrator until it was crisp. The yield measured about two-thirds of a quart and probably weighs less than an ounce, definitely not enough to dye sufficient wool to make a me-sized pair of socks. I have already spun the wool (soft, silky Corriedale) and am working on more. By using different mordants, this dyestuff will yield orange, yellow or purple. Now comes the question: Do I want to wear lobster skins on my feet? Well, you'll have to admit that would be one helluva conversation starter!

No comments:

Post a Comment