Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Engineering The Walls Of Troy - Gradient


Day 144: Behind any engineering project, there are plans and blueprints, and in this instance, a full two miles of 8/2 cotton have been laid out on an 8-fold gradient to be employed in construction of the Walls of Troy. That's the name of the draft I'll be using for this piece. It will be Max's next job, building a 24-foot Wall with a mortar (weft) of natural, weaving a tortuous path through the coloured warp. It's a simple repeat and doesn't require the strict attention to measurement like the designs with distinct motifs I've been working lately. It'll be a nice break from that keen focus on detail which has governed my most recent weavings. There are 482 threads in the pattern, 60 of each colour plus a natural floating selvedge thread on each side and, in the name of science, I'll be using a closer sett this time around at 20 ends per inch to see if that's Max's "sweet spot" for a balanced weave with this particular fiber. I have one towel left to go, but I always like to have a "warp in waiting."

No comments:

Post a Comment