Friday, October 4, 2024

Alliums, Crocus And Tulips, Oh My!

 

Day 358: Some time back, I think I mentioned that I wanted to clean out my front flower bed to remove all the weeds and ferns which had taken it over in the last several years. It looked like a fairly major undertaking, but when I got right down to it, it went more quickly than expected. It was hard to get the grass out of the interior of the hardy fuchsia stems, and that will undoubtedly remain problematic, but I relocated ferns to the hosta bed (under construction beneath Big Doug), pulled weeds (and probably redistributed a few thousand seeds), replanted all of the lily-of-the-valley bulbs I could find, and in the end, it was looking pretty good. This week, I planted spring bulbs: alliums of different heights and colours, snow crocus (i.e., early-blooming crocus) and species tulips which are purportedly deer-resistant. Between cervid-repellent alliums and the tulips, that should keep the elk off the crocus. Next spring, I will add some bedding plants or perhaps a couple of perennials to this semi-shady northside bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment